Sunday

Not so Super Tuscan gets one-upped on the Upper West Side

The wait would be at least 30 minutes, so what is left to do but hang out at the bar and order a drink or two? That marked the beginning of our evening out at a restaurant that shall remain nameless, despite my highest recommendation. The restaurant, or even the bar, for that matter, isn't the point. The wine is. In large letters on the wine menu was the offer of Super Tuscan. A larger than life red, it has been touted by critics for years, and even ordered by the glass it should at least live up to half its name. The bar was overwhelmed, so unfortunately I couldn't get a look at the bottle. The menu, however, praised its luscious fruit, and under the spell of the Italian atmosphere and the repast we were about to receive, I dutifully ordered a glass.
I was....surprised. It wasn't bad, Per Se, but it wasn't super. It came on strong, but by the end of the glass it was rather flabby. It certainly wasn't memorable. This doesn't mean I am criticizing the Super Tuscan name as a whole. I didn't order a bottle of this particular wine, and that certainly makes a difference. The surprise element is really in what happened later. With dinner, I ordered another wine by the glass. It was a simple, inexpensive house Chianti. Our waiter didn't suggest it, but I was willing to take my chances on another wine. Now the surprise. The Chianti was more complex, well rounded, and had a nice clean finish. It didn't come on too strong, arrived with a nice bouquet, and politely ended the meal with a casual 'see you next time.' In essence, it one upped the Super Tuscan. The Chianti was the better dinner date.
As for my real date, he circumvented the whole situation and ordered a Cabernet. ( He has learned by my facial expression what not to order, and avoided the super Tuscan. This is clearly cheating, of course.)
I might try this same Super Tuscan again if we order a bottle and I'm eating meatballs or veal, but for most purposes, a house Chianti can do just fine. Am I a no frills girl, after all? Maybe I just know what I like. A good clean red with Italian food, a simple dessert, and a walk through the upper west side after dinner. Maybe a carriage ride, a play, a Calvados at a hotel bar....okay, so a few frills might be in order. I guess some things never change.

Chianti with Glass, still life by Richard Scott

No comments: