Friday

Delicatessen and a Cigar

Last night my husband, Richard, smoked a cigar in the evening outside on the front stoop. I guess the atmosphere was right for it. We had just finished watching Delicatessen for the second time. I joined him outdoors, wine glass in hand. We sat quietly musing on the film, dreamy and starry--well, sleepy eyed -- and I thought about the wine that our heroine would have drunk, had she been without tea. She would have needed something full bodied, something smoky, yet fruit forward, because this is a fantastical, crazy sort of film. I'm sure there is a perfect wine for our dear, sweet faced heroine, Julie. As for me, I was drinking Piazzola, a malbec from Argentina. It was left from a case we purchased on discount, and it packs quite a punch. It certainly won't blow your budget and it satisfies the need for a big mouth feel, full of berries and tannins. The drawback is the sugars will leave your head aching if you don't eat some cheese or other protein to lower your blood sugar. I would drink it again, but I wouldn't buy a case of it. It doesn't pair well with most foods, and alone it's just too sweet for my taste. Delicatessen, with its hazy, atmospheric cinematography, definitely calls for something smoky, and it has to age well, ( like a cigar) as the film has. When I find it I'll let you know. Meanwhile, if you haven't seen Delicatessen by now, you have a full weekend ahead of you. Get some wine you like and settle in. I will neither encourage nor discourage smoking a cigar.

The theme of childhood fantasy and the rooftop scenes remind me of Wes Anderson. Perhaps he drew some of his inspiration from this film.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Insightful. I will have to watch this movie, with or without the cigar.

Unknown said...

My mind is mesmorized by the words you choose to walk me through your thoughts and memories. I absolutely love to read your work.
I love you, and again I say, Happy birthday
Mum