It's a dreary, rainy day here in New York. It has been a week with little sunshine, and this year the winter seems to be lasting through April. We have fresh sea scallops for dinner, and I plan on making my favourite blueberry vinaigrette to go with them. Typically, I would pair this dish with a fresh Chardonnay or a Sauvignon Blanc. But somehow I just can't drink white wine in this weather. I need something richer, and warmer. So tonight we'll break the rules and drink a red Languedoc wine with dinner. We will dream of days in Provence, where the sun shines on a vast blue sea and there isn't a yellow cab in sight. Even the sidewalks are softer there.In New York today, the sidewalks are wet, grey, and cold. People huddle in storefronts and shake their umbrellas on cafe floors. The French Brasseries are filled with the aromas of espresso and steamed milk, and the wine being poured is red, regardless of whether the plate is filled with steak frites or oysters. A walk by the waterfront reminds us we live by the sea, but the rain falling down lures us to warm our blood with a big bold Cabernet.
No comments:
Post a Comment