Wednesday

Stinging Nettle and Cahors to the Rescue

I don't suffer from Allergies. Many of my friends do, and my mother and sister are plagued by them every Spring. But I somehow have managed to escape the miseries of histamine production for many years...until now.
I'm not alone. This season, even the most vigorous New York City dwellers have been sneezing and blowing, suffering the aftermath of a mild winter and early blooming plants....strong ones. Most people would turn to an over the counter anti-histamine or something else to "dry up" their oozing sinuses. Not me. I can't afford to be dehydrated, and I can't afford to lose my sense of taste and smell either. I have wine to taste...and drink, for god's sake! After some diligent research, two boxes of tissue and three days of relentless nose blowing, I bought three things to deal with my new problem: Quercetin, Stinging Nettle, and Glycerin (for my inflamed skin). Within a few hours, my nose stopped tingling and running, and I found I could breathe again. Relief. No side effects to report and no prescriptions to fill. Was it the Quercetin or the nettle? Who knows, who cares! Take them both!
Once relief is found, wine isn't too far behind. What do you drink when your sniffing organ isn't quite back to its illustrious state of glory? Well, I've researched this too. When under a nagging nasal issue, a 2005 Cahors Malbec works quite well. It's bold enough to taste even when you're all stuffed up. Drink with a plate of cannellini beans, kale, and plenty of fresh garlic and olive oil. ( my boss won't go for the garlic part, but it's really tasty, and strengthens the immune system)
I'm almost back on track, and hopefully my reeling taste buds will soon be able to detect the subtlest nuance from a delicate pinot noir. I may even be able to enjoy the flowers my thoughtful florist gave me. Until then, I'll be drinking big wines, and waxing poetic about stinging nettle. It does have a romantic ring to it, no?

photo depicts fresh stinging nettles. I took mine in pill form.

No comments: