Friday

Drinking it Corked

I went to a tasting last night and tried several very good white Burgundies. The first one was elegant and crisp, the second one tasted slightly creamy from the malolactic fermentation, and slightly.....well, other than that, it had a quality I couldn't put my finger on. The young lady conducting the tasting mentioned she was getting over a cold or allergies, as was I, and asked me if I thought the bottle might be corked. I said no, no, not at all. It wasn't a great wine, I thought, but certainly not so bad I would think it corked. The tasting continued, and several people tasted this same wine. Finally, a woman pointed out what should have been obvious to the rest of us: the wine was corked. We tasted again. Yes, she was right. Why didn't I know? What the hell is wrong with me? What business do I have in the wine industry when I don't even recognize a corked wine?! I liked it! I was a little embarrassed. My palate is spent. OR maybe, just maybe, I told myself, this wine is so wonderful that it's even pretty good corked. It could be possible, couldn't it? This thought consoles me, and makes my husband think I'll be a cheap date on my birthday this year. It's obvious which of us lives in reality.

No comments: