Thursday

A Little Something for Yourself

So this is St. Valentine's Day, the designated holiday of love and all the frills that go with it, like romantic dinners and lacey lingerie and red paper hearts...or maybe diamonds if you like that sort of thing. It is an occasion for roses and chocolates, and valiant attempts to serve one's wife breakfast in bed whether she wants it or not, and whether she's awake or not. Well, maybe that last bit was too specific. Not that I didn't appreciate the valiant part.

I like Valentine's day enough, though I have to admit that all those sweets make me a little queasy just looking at them, much less eating them. I am fond of a French pastry now and then, but enough is enough. Who eats those boxed confection-esque rubbery things they like to call "chocolates"?? I don't know of anyone, but don't tell Whitman's that.
In fact, if I'm going to eat chocolate it better contain no less than 70% cacao, and not be smite with goo and white sugars and other such nonsense like milk. That's right, I'm a no nonsense kind of girl when it comes to chocolate. I like the hard stuff and I like it raw. Ooh, that was kinky....but you know what I mean. Get yourself or a loved one an Ithica Chocolate Art Bar, or some Scharffen Berger Chocolate, or some of these lovely Dolci.

Better yet, snuggle up with the rich taste of a mouth watering Carmenere. If love wasn't in the air before, it will be when you taste this beautiful red, whose deep flavors practically gush onto your palate and make you forget your own name. Now that's what I call a love for all ages. And if no one rings your bell, so to speak, with a bottle or two...well, there's nothing wrong with doing a little something for yourself. At a wine store near you: Lan Zur Carmenere, Chile, 2005 vintage.

No comments: